Good Career Goals
Deciding what you want to do in life is a challenging process, but setting and achieving career goals can be a great way to help you define your path and stay motivated while pursuing success. Here are a few examples of good career goals to help give you an idea of what to strive for in your own life.
Short-term goals are those that you can accomplish in the near future, ranging from a few weeks to a few years. Examples of short-term goals include:
- Attain a new skill or certification. Learning and mastering a new skill can give you an edge in your current career, or open up new opportunities for you. Make sure you select a skill that is relevant to your line of work.
- Apply for a new job. Upgrading your job or taking on a higher-level position in your current organization can be a great way to grow professionally. Be sure to research the job requirements and industry trends before taking the plunge.
- Advancement within the same company. If you enjoy your current job but want to do more, setting goals to advance within your company can give you structure and motivation. Talk with your supervisor or human resources department to understand the expectations and qualifications needed to reach the next level.
Long-term goals are those that take two years or more to accomplish. Examples of long-term career goals include:
- Develop a specialized expertise. If you have the skills and dedication, becoming an expert in a particular field can set you apart from other candidates when job searching. Make sure to network with experienced professionals in the field and devote yourself to studying the topic.
- Start your own business. For those with a knack for entrepreneurship, starting a business of your own can be a great way to make your mark in the world while also creating a career that you have total control over. Before starting your venture make sure to create a business plan and get advice from established business owners.
- Launch a new product or service. If you work for an established company, launching a product or service can be a great goal to strive for. This could involve innovating something entirely new or rebranding an existing product. Make sure to do your research and create a realistic timeline for yourself.
No matter what path you take in life, setting high standards for yourself and setting career goals can help ensure you keep progressing and staying motivated along the way. Setting goals can help you achieve a sense of accomplishment, while also making sure you stay focused on the many opportunities that lie ahead.