Is the Army a Good Career?
Recent changes in the job market and the global economy have led more and more people to evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of a career in the army. As a government-run organization, the army provides a tremendous range of different career opportunities and a good salary and benefits package. But, there are also some considerable risks involved, and the army is not suitable for everyone. This article will discuss the pros and cons of choosing a career in the army, so you can make an informed decision.
Pros of a Career in the Army
- Good Salary and Benefits – The army offers some of the best salaries and benefits packages in the public sector. You will generally receive an excellent salary, health insurance, and access to a variety of training and educational programs.
- Career Advancement Opportunities – The army provides a diverse range of career opportunities, from traditional combat roles to medical, logistics, and engineering positions. You can gain additional qualifications and experience which can help you in future civilian jobs.
- Job Security – There is much more job security in the military than in the private sector. Your employment is largely guaranteed and you will not have to worry about the effects of recession.
Cons of a Career in the Army
- Risk of Injury and Death – One of the biggest drawbacks of a career in the army is the risk of injury or death. Unlike a civilian job, you may be asked to risk your life for your country and you may witness traumatic events.
- Relocation and Deployment – Once you join the army, you may be posted to different locations and deployed overseas. This may mean disrupting your lifestyle and being away from family and friends.
- Strict Discipline and Routine – If you join the army, you will be expected to adhere to a strict military routine, which may not be suitable for all types of people. The military has a code of conduct which must be followed at all times.
Choosing a career in the army is a very personal decision that requires careful consideration of the pros and cons. Although the army provides a good salary and benefits package and career advancement opportunities, there is also a considerable risk of injury or death and long periods away from family and friends. If you are able to overcome these potential drawbacks and you think a career in the army is right for you, then it is definitely a worthwhile consideration.