Is Supply Chain Management a Good Career?
Supply chain management is an important part of any business. It’s essential for keeping products and services supplied to customers, and for achieving a competitive advantage. So is supply chain management a good career choice?
There are plenty of reasons why supply chain management is a great career option. Here are some of the major benefits:
- High Job Irradiation: The demand for supply chain management skills is increasing as businesses grow and become more globalized. This means that even in times of economic uncertainty, there’s still a large, diverse pool of jobs available.
- Complexity: Supply chain management is a highly analytical role, involving solving complex problems. This can be extremely satisfying, as it offers a high degree of job satisfaction.
- Objective Supplier Evaluation: As a supply chain manager, you will be responsible for assessing suppliers and establishing relationships with them. This helps ensure that goods and services are sourced responsibly and efficiently, which is beneficial for both customers and businesses.
- International Travel and Networking opportunities: Supply chain management is a global function, which means that you can expect to travel to different countries to establish relationships with suppliers and customers. This provides you with the opportunity to experience different cultures and expand your professional network.
Supply chain management can be a demanding role, with many challenges. Here are some of the major ones to consider:
- High-Stress Environment: Supply chain management involves dealing with deadlines and tight budgets, so it can be an extremely stressful job. You may have to deal with constant changes in regulations and laws, as well as competing demands from different departments.
- Unwanted Risks: The supply chain is a complex system, and there is always a chance of disruptions which can result in unwanted risks and losses. As a supply chain manager, you may be required to take on additional responsibilities to reduce and mitigate these risks.
- Fast-Paced Environment: Supply chain management is an ever-evolving field, and you will need to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies to stay competitive. This means that you must be willing to constantly update your skills and knowledge.
- Eye for Detail: Supply chain management requires attention to detail, as there are many complex processes involved. You must be able to analyse data and identify trends quickly, and be able to make decisions quickly and accurately.
Supply chain management is a rapidly growing field, and it offers a wide range of job opportunities. It can be a challenging and stressful role, but it offers excellent rewards and career progression. With the right knowledge and experience, supply chain management can be an extremely rewarding career.