Is Sonography a Good Career?
Sonography, also known as ultrasound technology, is a medical imaging procedure used to evaluate the health of organs, tendons and vascular systems. It is a popular form of diagnostic imaging that allows physicians to diagnose a patient’s condition without performing invasive procedures. So, is sonography a good career? Let’s take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of a career in this field.
Benefits of a Career in Sonography
- Secure job opportunity: The demand for certified sonographers is growing, making it a secure career option.
- Multiple career paths: Sonographers can choose to specialize in areas such as cardiology, obstetrics and gynaecology, abdominal sonography and vascular sonography.
- High salary potential: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for sonographers in 2019 was $68,930.
- Flexible work hours: Most sonographers work full-time but have the option of part-time and weekend or night time hours.
- Varied work: Each day brings new challenges and opportunities for learning and growth.
Drawbacks of a Career in Sonography
- Physical demands: Sonographers work with heavy equipment and perform a lot of standing and repetitive movements, which can cause strain on the body.
- High-stress environment: Sonographers work in clinical settings and are responsible for providing accurate images and results, which can be very stressful.
- Long hours: Sonographers often work long hours, including night and weekend shifts.
- Limited career advancement: Sonographers are usually limited to the same position and unable to advance to higher paying or leadership roles.
All in all, sonography is a lucrative and rewarding career with flexible hours and job security. However, the physical demands, long hours and potential for high-stress can make it a challenging job. Before committing to a career in sonography, make sure it’s something you feel passionate about and have the skills and personality to thrive in, and always take the time to educate yourself on what to expect.