Is Finance Still a Good Career?
Choosing a career you’ll enjoy for the long haul can be a difficult decision. One of the most popular career paths is finance, but is it still a smart choice in the modern world? Let’s consider the pros and cons of a career in finance.
Advantages of Working in Finance
- 2016 Median Pay: Financial Specialist jobs have a median pay of just over $71,000 a year
- Career Advancement: There is ample opportunity for promotion and higher salaries
- Variety of Options: There are a variety of careers in finance, from financial analyst to broker to corporate financial officer
- Growth Potential: The financial industry is always changing, adapting to new technologies and trends, leading to job security and growth potential
- High Desirability: Employers are looking for people with a background in finance and all the skills it entails
Disadvantages of Working in Finance
- Stressful: The work can be demanding and stressful, especially with deadlines
- Competition: There is a great deal of competition for the best jobs in finance
- Required Training: Many employers increasingly require financial employees to have educational qualifications, such as a college degree
- Regulations and Policies: There is a great deal of red tape involved in working with financial regulations and policies that must be followed and understood
Overall, finance is still a great career field with a lot of potential for advancement. It can be demanding and stressful at times, but the rewards can be plentiful. If you have a passion for financial analysis and investing, this career could be the perfect fit.