Is Energy a Good Career Path?
In recent years, energy has been touted as a great career path for those interested in engineering, finance, economics, and even environmental protection – and rightfully so. But those considering a move into the field should first ask themselves if the energy sector is a wise choice for their professional aspirations.
Energy careers offer a number of advantages for those interested in them, including:
- Job security: Energy is an essential component of functioning economies and societies, meaning the sector enjoys relative career security.
- Technology advances: Rapid advances in energy technology, especially in renewable energy sources, have opened up a number of new job opportunities.
- Career mobility: The energy sector offers a great deal of flexibility and mobility, with professionals able to switch between jobs relatively easily.
At the same time, the energy sector comes with its own unique set of challenges. These include:
- Impact on the environment: The energy industry is seen as a leading contributor to climate change and other forms of environmental degradation. This can be a major concern for those looking for a career in the sector.
- Competitive nature: Energy is a heavily competitive sector, and finding a good job can take a great deal of effort, even for experienced professionals.
- Regulatory complexity: With governments heavily involved in energy policy, the sector can be full of complex regulatory and legal frameworks. This can be a major challenge for those just starting out.
The Bottom Line:
Overall, energy remains an attractive career path for those interested in engineering and related fields. With the sector continuing to expand and advance, now is a great time to begin exploring the possibilities. That said, the environmental, regulatory, and competitive nature of the sector all should be taken into consideration before taking the plunge.