Is Computer Software Prepackaged Software a Good Career Path?
Prepackaged software is computer software that is designed for general users and can be used for many different purposes. It is usually sold in packages for download (often on CD) and comes with complete documentation and user support. So, is this a good choice for starting a career in the computer software industry?
Here are some of the advantages of choosing a career in prepackaged computer software:
- Wide appeal: Prepackaged computer software is designed to be appealing to a wide range of users. This means that you have a good chance of finding a market for your product, even if it is relatively niche.
- Expense: Prepackaged software is often very affordable since the development is already done. You won’t need to spend large amounts of money on development costs, which can make it a great option for those just starting out.
- Update potential: It is much easier to update prepackaged software than creating new software from scratch. You can use the updates to stay one step ahead of the competition.
While there are many advantages to choosing a career in prepackaged computer software, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider:
- Competition: Since the software is already created, you will be competing with many other products that have the same features. This can be tough to overcome.
- Limited customization: Prepackaged software is typically generic. Customizing the software to meet specific user needs can be difficult and costly.
- Changing trends: Trends in software come and go. This can make it difficult to keep up with the changing landscape and could lead to a drop in revenue.
Prepackaged computer software can be a good career path, especially if you are just starting out in the industry. It can be cost-effective and you can easily update the software to stay ahead of changing trends. However, it is important to keep in mind that you will be competing among many other products and customization may be difficult.