Is CDL a Good Career?
It is no secret that the trucking industry is a vital part of today’s economy. Therefore, it is no surprise that some may consider a career in Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). This article will provide a comprehensive overview of this career to let you decide if it is right for you.
Benefits of Becoming a CDL Driver
There are many benefits to becoming a CDL driver, such as:
- High Salaries – According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary of a truck driver in 2020 is around $44,500 a year. With experience, you can get your trucking salary to $65,000 or more.
- Job Security – With the trucking industry growing at rapid rates, finding a job as a trucker is relatively easy. In addition, most companies offer job security and insurance benefits.
- Flexibility – Most trucking companies offer flexible schedules, allowing CDL drivers to choose their own hours. This means you can drive for a few hours during the day or night and make a living.
- Wide Variety of Work – CDL drivers can choose from different types of jobs. From local delivery to cross-country routes, or even shipping hazardous materials, truckers can find work that fits their skills and preferences.
Downsides of being a CDL Driver
While there are many benefits to becoming a CDL driver, there are also some downsides that you should be aware of. These include:
- Long Hours – Driving a truck is a physically and mentally demanding job, and most drivers spend long hours on the road. This can become tiresome and lead to fatigue, back pain, and other health issues over time.
- Loneliness – Being on the road for extended periods can result in a feeling of loneliness, as drivers are rarely able to connect with family and friends.
- Risk of Accident – Truck drivers must drive in all kinds of weather conditions and terrain. This means the risk of accident is higher than for people in other occupations.
- Limited Career Advancement – While it is possible to advance to higher positions such as dispatcher or fleet manager, these positions are usually well paid and highly sought after.
A career as a CDL driver can be both fulfilling and rewarding. It is important to consider the pros and cons before deciding if it is right for you. With proper research and determination, it is possible to find a successful and satisfying career in the trucking industry.