Video Games Careers Overview
Video games have become a major part of popular culture, and for the talented and passionate individuals who excel at them, the industry can be an incredibly rewarding career. Games jobs are divided between the industry’s talent, from big name developers like Ubisoft, to small indie studios. Here, we share advice on how to make video games a career.
Steps To Make Video Games A Career
- Research the Opportunities: Research the various opportunities available in the video game industry. Many companies produce and distribute video games across various platforms, including PC, Mac, consoles and mobile.
- Focus on Your Strengths: Focus on your strengths, such as coding and game design, so you can excel in the field. Take advantage of the resources available such as industry publications and forums to stay current with the latest trends.
- Find a Way to Stand Out: Whether it’s a portfolio of past work or participating in game jams and competitions, you need to find a way to stand out from the crowd and show off your skillsets and potential.
- Gain Experience: Gain experience in the industry before making the jump from hobbyist to professional. Internships or voluntary work can help you acquire the skills and experience needed for a professional job in the video game industry.
- Network: Finding a job in the video game industry isn’t necessarily always easy. Leverage your network of contacts, such as classmates, teachers, and industry professionals to find relevant job openings.
- Learn to Market Yourself: In addition to having skills and experience, you also need to market yourself in order to get noticed by the right people. This includes having an impressive portfolio, optimizing your social media presence, and maintaining a professional attitude.
Making video games a career is not always easy, but it is definitely possible for anyone who is dedicated and willing to put in the effort. With the right skills, experience and attitude, you can make a successful career out of video games.