Tips to Impress Recruiters at a Career Fair
Looking for a job can be daunting, but attending a career fair can be a great way to find potential employers and impress recruiters. Here are some tips to help you make an impact and leave an impression.
- Research prior to the fair to know who will be available to speak with
- Have a professional portfolio with copies of your resume, references, and other important documents
- Know your strengths and weaknesses so you can effectively demonstrate your skills
- Be sure to dress appropriately – either smart casual or the same attire you would wear to an in-person interview
- Maintain eye contact with the recruiter when speaking
- Be ready to listen and ask questions to better understand the company and its needs
- Take the time to make a connection with the recruiter by showing genuine interest in their job
- Try to stand out from other applicants. You can do this by being enthusiastic and able to back up your claims of skills and experience
- Be sure to follow up within a few days of the fair. A well-written thank-you note or email can help to solidify the relationship you’ve established with the recruiter
Making a good impression at a career fair can be intimidating, but with the right attitude, knowledge, and preparation, you can make the experience memorable and successful.