Applying for Second Career
Second career can be a rewarding and journey of self-exploration. It also allows individuals to use their skills, knowledge, and experience to start a new career after leaving their sector or industry. It is also a great opportunity for older workers to gain recognition, establish relationships, and develop new skills. Here is a guide on how to apply for a second career:
- Define your goals and aspirations.
- Determine the types of industries and sectors that interest you.
- Make a list of your key skills and experience.
- Identify further training and education that is necessary.
- Research the field you are interested in.
- Explore the topics you are interested in.
- Identify potential employers.
- Research local markets.
- Attend industry events and build your network.
- Reach out to professionals in the industry.
- Find mentors and collaborate with people that can guide you.
- Seek advice and gain insight into the sector.
- Update your resume and portfolio.
- Take courses and gain further training.
- Find ways to develop your marketability.
- Participate in activities related to the industry.
- Apply to relevant positions.
- Make sure your resume is tailored to the roles you are applying for.
- Apply for internships and entry-level positions.
- Be prepared for the recruitment process.
Applying for a second career can be a daunting process but with research and preparation, you can start a new career and reach your goals. By taking the time to assess your goals, research and network, and by preparing your resume and portfolio, you’re one step closer to starting a new career. Good luck!