How to Act at a Career Fair
Career fairs are an excellent opportunity for employers and job seekers to connect. You can make a lasting impression and potentially even secure a job offer without the need for a lengthy interview. However, there is an etiquette and mannerisms which you can use to act appropriately at a career fair.
What to Wear
Your appearance is very important when attending a career fair and should also be given a great deal of consideration. You should dress to impress, as you would during a formal interview. Here are a few tips to help you prepare your look:
- Wear clothing appropriate to the industry you’re targeting.
- Go for a neat and professional look.
- Wear comfortable clothing which you feel confident in.
- Ensure that you look polished, so avoid wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Research in Advance
Before attending a career fair, it’s important to carry out adequate research about the event and the employers who will be there. Armed with this information, you will be able to present yourself in a professional and knowledgeable manner. Here are a few tasks to complete beforehand:
- Create a list of your dream employers and familiarise yourself with their operations.
- Write down thoughtful questions to ask employers and practice giving a concise and 953057entertaining ‘elevator pitch’.
- Familiarise yourself with the floorplan of the career fair and plan ahead which employers you want to visit.
Be Friendly and Engaging
To make a lasting impression at a career fair, you should be enthusiastic, friendly, and approachable. Make eye contact with the employer, avoid talking on your phone, and don’t forget to smile! Additionally, use this opportunity to network and collect as many business cards as possible.
Once the event has concluded, be sure to follow up with a polite and friendly thank you letter to each of the employer’s you met. You should also include your elevator pitch and highlight any we talked about at the career fair. Following up will result in your details being kept in mind and allow you to stand out from the competition.
By following these tips, you will be able to act appropriately and make a lasting impression at your next career fair.