How Career Fairs Work
A career fair is an event where organizations come to meet with potential employees, and potential employees come to find out more information about a company or job opportunity. Career fairs are an excellent networking opportunity, providing a chance to get your foot in the door of a career-related organization and to learn more about available job opportunities.
Before the Fair
Before going to a career fair, it is important that you plan ahead and prepare. Here are some tips:
- Research employers – Researching employers in advance is important so that you can find out which employers will be attending the event and what their hiring needs are. This will help you focus your efforts on the most relevant organizations.
- Practice – Take some time to practice your introduction speech, handshake, and answers to some potential questions the employer might ask you.
- Dress appropriately – attire is important and it is usually recommended to dress professionally in a suit and tie or equivalent.
- Bring extra copies of your resume – Having many copies of your resume for potential employers will make it easy for them to remember you and more likely to invite you to a follow-up interview.
During the Fair
When you arrive at the career fair, be sure to take your time and ask questions of the recruiters. Here are some tips:
- Have a plan of action – Prioritize which employers you want to meet with first and have a plan of action of which booth to visit and in what order.
- Introduce yourself – When you arrive at the booth, introduce yourself and tell them a bit about yourself and your background. It is important to have a good first impression with the recruiter.
- Ask questions – Ask lots of questions that you have in mind about the organization and any job positions, projects, internships that are available. Asking questions about the organization and its culture will show the recruiter your interest in the job.
- Have a business card – Having a business card with your name and information on it is an easy way for recruiters to remember you and contact you for an interview.
After the Fair
Once you’ve attended a career fair, it is important to follow up. Here are some tips:
- Send a thank you email – In the email, include the names of the people you talked to and what you discussed, as well as expressing your appreciation for their time.
- Follow up on job opportunities – Follow up with the recruiters and inquire about any job openings they have or if they have any other opportunities available.
- Get connected – Connect with the recruiters on LinkedIn and other social media platforms, as it can help keep you in mind for any further opportunities that arise.
Career fairs can be daunting, but with the right preparation, you’ll be able to make a great impression on potential employers and increase your chances of landing a job.