Do you Capitalize Career Names?
Whether and how you should capitalize career names is a highly debated topic that has been discussed among many language experts. Most people view capitalizing career names as a sign of respect and respect is always something everyone should strive to show towards others.
The Argument for Capitalization
There are a few solid arguments for why career names should be capitalized:
- Respect: No matter what someone does for a living, it is important to show respect for the individual for taking on that role in society. Therefore, by capitalizing the name of their utilizing respect.
- Legitimacy: When you capitalize career names, it further legitimizes the job and makes it more official. It has been argued that it sends a message to the reader that a certain career is important.
- Sentiment: Some people believe that capitalizing a career name, is seen as a way to show sentiment towards someone and the job that they do. This is particularly true when it comes to capitalizing a career name of someone within your own family.
The Argument Against Capitalization
While there are valid arguments for why career names should be capitalized, there are also good reasons why some people feel otherwise.
- Unnecessary: One of the main arguments against capitalizing career names is that it is just not necessary. Many people think that capitalizing a career name is just a waste of time and it doesn’t really have any effective purpose.
- Standardization: Another point that is often made against capitalizing career names is that there is no real standard when it comes to which jobs should be capitalized. This creates a great deal of confusion and inconsistency.
- Biased: While it is not meant as a malicious act, some people feel that by capitalizing certain career names, it implies that those careers are more important than others. This could be seen as biased or unfair to those in other less capitalized professions.
Ultimately, the decision to capitalize career names is up to each individual. Whether you feel that it is necessary for respect, legitimacy, or to show sentiment, or conversely you feel that it is just unnecessary and biased, it is ultimately up to you.