Can I Make a Career Out of Writing?
From articles, books, scripts and more, there are plenty of career opportunities in writing. If you have an aptitude for it and an interest in getting paid to do what you love, it might be time to pursue a job in the writing industry.
Preparation Is Essential
Before jumping into a writing career there are few things you should consider:
- Understand the Different Writing Careers: There are many routes you can take when it comes to writing. There are copywriters, bloggers, journalists, editors, book authors, novelists, and more. Do some research to better understand the area that interests you most.
- Polish Your Writing: Writing is a craft that needs practice and refinement. Take some classes or read books on how to properly develop your writing abilities. There are also courses available like the Holistic Writer course that can help you learn the fundamentals of creative writing.
- Create a Portfolio: You will need some samples of your writing in your portfolio. Try to choose pieces that demonstrate your best writing. This can include past articles, reviews, stories, or anything else you have worked on in the past.
Making the Jump Into Writing
Now that you have polished your craft and crafted a portfolio, you’re ready to jump into writing as a career. There are a few ways to get started:
- Freelancing: If you are interested in independent work, try freelancing. Sites like Fiverr and Upwork allow you to connect with clients and writers.
- Networking: Just like most jobs, connections and networking are important in the writing industry. Reach out to industry professionals and join writing circles.
- Apply to Writing Opportunities: Online or in-person job listings may be available for a career in writing. Look online or in newspapers for any applicable listings.
The Bottom Line
Making a career out of writing is not easy. It requires dedication and hard work. But if this is something you are passionate about, it could be the career that you are looking for. Just remember to hone your craft, market yourself, and make connections.