Are You Ready for a Career Change?
Do you feel unfulfilled in your current job? Are you considering a big change in career path? Making a big change like this can be daunting, but if you’re ready for a change then there are several steps you can take to ensure you make the most of the transition.
Assessing Your Objective
Start by assessing why you want to make a career change. Why aren’t you happy in your current role? Visualize what it is that you want to achieve, so you know exactly what you’re aiming for. Here are some questions that can help with this process:
- What are my personal and professional goals?
- What new skills do I need to achieve those goals?
- What type of job would fulfill me?
- What kind of salary am I looking for?
Once you are clear upon your goals, you can plan the steps needed to get there.
Bridge Your Skills Gap
In many cases, it can be difficult to find a job directly in your desired line of work. You need to bridge the skills gap between your current job and the new career you want. Consider gaining any qualifications you may need, and look out for networking opportunities or relevant work experience. You can start by looking at job ads to see what employers require and make sure you meet these requirements. If a job is too far out of your current skillset, look for smaller steps you could take.
Once you’re clear on what you want to achieve, make a plan of action to get there. Consider the following activities:
- Network with people in the field you’re looking to move into.
- Take up any available training opportunities.
- Update your resume and portfolio.
- Look for jobs, volunteer or intern.
- Keep a positive mind frame and be prepared for rejection.
Career changes can be rewarding if done properly. Consider your goals, bridge your skills gap, and think about the steps you need to take to get there. Take the plunge and you will be surprised at what you can achieve.